Roasted tomato soup - the perfect warmer after a bracing walk along the beach
After a brisk winter walk through the woods or along the beach, there’s nothing better to warm you up than a delicious cup of soup. Give your tomato soup an extra taste dimension by roasting the tomatoes briefly in the oven first. And by choosing the right tomato you can make your soup even tastier.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4 persons)
- 500 g JOYN tomatoes
- 3 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 sprigs of basil + extra to garnish
- 1 l. vegetable stock
- 4 slices of fresh, crusty bread
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO PREPARE
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Halve the tomatoes and lay them on the sheet flat side up. Peel the shallots, halve them and place the pieces among the tomatoes. Crush the garlic with a knife, remove the peel and put the flesh with the other vegetables. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and place in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Roughly chop the basil and add to the oil. Stir for half a minute until the basil wilts. Remove the tomatoes, shallots and garlic from the oven, add to the pan and bring to the boil. Stir well, add the vegetable stock, purée the soup and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with fresh basil, roasted tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil and crusty bread.