Something new under the sun – an unusually summery salad
Bring the Mediterranean to your al fresco dining by serving a fresh salad with feta from Cyprus, olive oil from Spain and blood oranges from Sicily. And not forgetting Dutch Looye JOYN tomatoes to round off the range of flavours to perfection.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2 personen)
- 2 to 3 Looye JOYN tomatoes
- 1 package (approx. 100 g.) of halloumi (brined cheese)
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 lemon (organic)
- 1 yellow sweet pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO PREPARE
- Start by washing the tomatoes and the sweet pepper. Then cut the sweet pepper into thin strips and cut the tomatoes in half crosswise.
- Slice off the bottom of the blood orange and make sure that it remains standing upright on the board. This makes it easier to peel the rest of it, leaving only the flesh. Then remove each of the sections, discard the membranes and peel but reserve any juice. Do the same for the lemon. Reserve some of the sections for the dressing.
- Combine the extra virgin olive oil with the reserved lemon and orange juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat, brush with some olive oil, and put the sweet pepper slices skin side down on the grill pan to give them nice brown grill stripes. Keep an eye on the sweet pepper strips so that they don't turn too brown too quickly.
- Then cut the halloumi into thin slices and add them to the pan once the sweet peppers are almost done. (It only takes a few seconds to give the halloumi cheese nice brown grill stripes.) Then add the tomatoes to the grill pan and grill them for about 1 to 2 minutes (or until they show grill stripes).
Assembling the salad
- Arrange the sweet pepper strips over a pretty serving dish and then arrange the tomatoes in the middle. Next, arrange the halloumi, blood orange sections and cress over the salad. Lastly, drizzle the dressing over the salad. Add some lemon zest if desired! Enjoy!